What, Loneliness?


Have you seen a butterfly? The butterfly is a fragile, beautiful, colourfully winged creature. You wouldn't think it was ugly before it evolved to a very lovely specie of its kind. With its size, you would appreciate its creator for the unique design of its wings and its array of colours.  

JamesDeMers/pixabay.com
When I was in grade school, my mother used to grow lots of plants and few flowers such as Gumamela, at the side of our house. One day, I saw a caterpillar crawl on a leaf. It consumed the whole leaf as if it hadn't eaten in days. The caterpillar went to another leaf and ate again, and to another, and another. Until one time, I saw it enclosing itself in a sticky, cotton-like wrap. The caterpillar stayed inside and wrapped for so many days. I was once tempted to touch it but my grandmother asked me against it. Every day, whenever I got home from school, I'd check if it's still hanging under the leaf. And I'd always find it there. After some time, surprise, surprise! It was gone! "Where did it go?" I loudly asked myself. Suddenly, there was a lone yellow/brown/white butterfly pulling out of its own wrap. Then, it flew and swirled around a nearby Gumamela flower. It was so amazing! I couldn't contain my awe. That was the first time I witnessed a caterpillar transform to a butterfly.

Looking back, this simple event might seem mundane and uninteresting for some. Sometimes, however, simple things teaches us valuable lesson and holds some truth.



Let me share this quote.

"A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. 
Remember that next time you feel alone." 
-- Mandy Hale, The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass


Sometimes, we, singles go through lonely, tough times. I remember I went into depression after college graduation. It was depression, I think, because my sadness lasted for almost a year before I got back on my feet. I would stay up late, woke up late, skipped my meals and locked myself inside the bedroom for the rest of the day. I only go out to pee, and to take the "needed" shower. To make the long story short, I went through a difficult time but I realized I must get up. So I got up. It took me months, but I got up. From then on, I guarded my happiness. I know it wouldn't be sunshine always. But I also know that it wouldn't be sunset always. I just have to remind myself that.

At some point in our life, we feel isolated like the caterpillar. We wrap ourselves in self-pity, brokenness, and hurt. But when we refuse to give up on ourselves, we will come out as victor. We will emerge a beautiful creature, with colorful stories to tell. 

Just like the temporary isolation of a butterfly, let's learn from our aloneness, or loneliness. There's a reason, and a lesson behind it. We just need to figure it out. If it becomes unbearable, there's our family and friends we can run to. And don't forget we can pour our hearts to Him.


Related article: Count Your Blessings


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popular Jeepney Sayings

Etiquette in a Jeepney

Single Blessedness